The Canadian Midwifery Regulators Council is a network of provincial and territorial regulatory authorities. Collectively, we regulate the profession of midwifery, setting and maintaining high standards of practice, and ensuring regulatory harmony across the country.
We provide leadership in maintaining a strong regulatory framework through our work in setting the Canadian Midwifery Competencies, establishing national standards for midwifery practice, administering the national Canadian Midwifery Registration Examination, and approving educational and bridging programs.
Together with the Canadian Association of Midwives and the Canadian Association of Midwifery Educators, we form a three-pillar approach to excellence in midwifery regulation, education and practice.
The national resource for achieving excellence and inspiring trust in midwifery regulation
To encourage excellence among Canadian midwifery regulatory authorities through collaboration, harmonization and best practice.
The Canadian Midwifery Regulators Council (CMRC) (previously Consortium) was established in the year 2000 via a national process to create an inter-provincial labour mobility agreement. In March 2001, the Agreement on Mobility for Midwifery in Canada was signed by all midwifery regulatory authorities, as well as provincial/territorial midwifery associations and midwifery education programs in Canada. Since that time, the CMRC has worked toward the harmonization of standards and administrative processes for the profession of midwifery, while maintaining a respect for provincial and territorial differences and distinct regulations.
- College of Midwives of British Columbia
- Northwest Territories Health Professional Licensing
- College of Midwives of Alberta
- Government of Nunavut, Professional Practice – Health and Social Services
- Saskatchewan College of Midwives
- College of Midwives of Manitoba
- College of Midwives of Ontario
- Ordre des sage-femmes du Quebec
- Midwifery Regulatory Council of Nova Scotia
- Midwifery Council of New Brunswick
- College of Midwives of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Government of Yukon, Professional Licensing and Regultory Affairs